2018 Emerging and Continuing Trends

We are nearing the end of January now and so it is apparent which new years trends are going to stick around later into 2018, and also which trends from 2017 are carrying on throughout this year. From tassels and colour to stripes and sheer, I want to share with you five of the biggest trends for 2018, ones that have continued from last year, new ones and where to get the look.

Mesh & Sheer

sheer 1

Image from the 2018 New York fashion week

Both: Missguided

Left- £25 Buy it here

Right- £18 Buy it here

Mesh and sheer featured extremely heavily in New York’s fashion weeks by the top designers. Flirtatious pieces are so on trend right now, the more revealing the better. The designers focused on sophisticated cuts, whereas high street stores are focusing more on making the sheer trend basic (for example by taking the simple long sleeve top in mesh). Mesh can be styled over any bralette / bra and I find they are perfect for covering up when you don’t want as much skin on show, or adding an edge to a more simplistic outfit, such as jeans or a denim skirt. Glitter and mesh combined creates the perfect combo and there is not a better place to look than PMissguided and Prettylittlething.

Tassel Earrings

tassel 1 .jpg

Lovisa – (they do not offer online shopping however you can find your nearest store by clicking here

main tassel

Mango – £12.99 (available in red, yellow and navy)

Buy here

Tassels are absolutely everywhere and they are the perfect way to make a statement. Tassel earrings of all different lengths and colours are so on trend right now, and this started towards the end of last year. They are certainly not minimalistic, in fact they completely follow this seasons main trend of bold and vibrant. Tassel earrings add a pop of colour to any one colour outfit and liven up a minimal outfit. My all- time favourite jewellery shop is definitely Lovisa. They sell extremely affordable, on- trend jewellery (their best deal being 5 pieces of jewellery for £5) and they are certainly not short on tassel earrings either. Although, you can literally buy tassel earrings everywhere as they are so hot right now and I think they will be for the rest of the year.

Gym Kit

fenty x puma

Fenty x Puma collab on the runway

priamrk.jpeg

Primark sports leggings -£8

(buy from your nearest Primark store)

We are not talking the normal gym / PE kit here, but there are certain aspects of sportswear’ that (as of 2018) are mega on trend, and not just with high street brands either. Gucci, Louis Vuitton, Dolce & Gabanna are just some examples of endless designer brands who have recently been supporting the gym kit trend on their runways. It’s now on trend to walk around in your ‘lounge’ and everyday wear and that certainly sounds like a bonus. Primark’s new sports ranges are just in time for this emerging trend and for once you don’t have to be a gym fanatic to buy it!

Stripe

stripe 2

Palmer Harding Resort 2018 collection (for Vogue)

stripe dress

Topshop striped pinafore * labeled as a trending product on their website*

£38 Buy it here

Prints are everywhere, the more bold and vibrant the bigger the statement made. It is the perfect essential for Spring / Summer as the stripe screams Summer Vibes. Last season the main print seemed to be animal print (especially leopard) however, this season I think the stripes are the print to look out for. They are so versatile as they can be worn as all in ones, skirts, trousers, tops and anything else you can think of; you can have it striped.

Sequins

Let’s face it, sequins are never going to be out of fashion, their will always be a want for that added sparkle but this season they really do seem to be everywhere. Designers specifically at New York Fashion Week tried extremely hard in the sequin department, and it certainly paid off, as some spectacular garments were showcased. Sequins are also the perfect way to jazz up any outfit and are perfect for a more casual club night out, yet also suitable for a 5* dinner party. Sequins really are great for every occasion and now they aren’t just fitting for the party season!

sequin.jpg

Images from 2018 New York Fashion Week

Left- Boohoo Sequin bralette Boohoo, £5- Buy it here

Right- Debenhams Jenny Packham embellished dress- £59.70 reduced from £199

Buy it here

I have shown you five of my favourite and the biggest trends of this season, and a couple I find the most interesting such as the gymwear. I hope you enjoyed reading this post as much as I enjoyed writing it! Feel free to leave any comments, Katy x

15 Comments Add yours

1. chloeburford says:

I absolutely love the mesh and tassel earrings trend but I am still so confused on the gym fashion trend haha!! This is a great post lovely x

Liked by 1 person

1. katyyrae says:

Me too!! I don’t really understand it either, thanks so much X

2. nadjaklaparevic says:

Hey, I just discovered your blog, you’re so inspiring ❤️
    I loooove the mesh and stripes, literally can’t wait for summer, so I can wear them 😄
    Also, if you want, I would love you to take a look at my blog http://www.chickandchic.com I think we have pretty much same interests 😊

Liked by 1 person

1. katyyrae says:

Thankyou so much! Love your blog, have followed x

3. thepeacegurl says:

Great !!it would be great for a hijabi such as myself if you’d write about hijab fashion or more modest fashion
    Just saying and check out my blog. Just started Blogging and I could use all the help I can get 🙂
    Peace out gurl!! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. katyyrae says:

That’s such a great idea! I would love to expand my fashion content much further than where it’s at now so thanks so much for that advice! I will check your blog now X

2. katyyrae says:

I have followed your blog, love it. Also, I have been thinking about what you said and was wondering if you would like to do a guest post on my blog? I could also do one back for yours if you wanted or you can just do one for mine. Maybe on hijab and modest fashion as you suggested? I think this would be a great way to appeal to more of my audience and I feel like you are the perfect person! Let me know what you think X (I will also include many more posts like this, I just think at first you may be way better than me!) Katy x

1. thepeacegurl says:

Sure…I’ll try
        I am a starter at this so…you probably forgive my mistakes which I’d be making ( pretty sure because mistakes define me. Thats what makes me fun I guess)
        Ps I really really dont know how the hell I supposed to `guest post` okay
        Pps tell me already…..I AM SUPER SUPER EXCITED!!! 🙂

Liked by 1 person

2. katyyrae says:

You can just email me a word document of your post! My email is in the contact section of my blog and I will upload it and tag you! X

3. thepeacegurl says:

Aahhh…..thank u

Liked by 1 person

4. thepeacegurl says:

I am writing it but give me some time because I have classes and I come back late and all that …..but I d sent you soon enough in shaa allah (if allah wills) and I’d really love if you’d do a guest post for me as well 🙂

Liked by 1 person

5. katyyrae says:

Of course! What would you like it on?

6. thepeacegurl says:

I dont know what ever you want…okay??

7. thepeacegurl says:

Ps I sent you the email. Hope you like it…!! 🙂

8. thepeacegurl says:

Did you get my email?? Just reply…I am KINDA worried
        Do I have to sent it again or was it bad or what?!?
        Just give me a honest reply..
        I know you’re busy and all but I am sorta restless 🙂